Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Happy Birthday Andy!


Hana chose the decorations for Andrew's birthday this year - Buzz Lightyear with blue and orange streamers.

Poof, look at all that smoke. I'm glad I'm not that old. I was so busy fixing my Japanese feast (see below) that I decided to invent a new birthday cake recipe for the hopelessly lazy. First, make a small box of cook-and-serve Banana Cream pudding, according to the package directions. After the pudding has come to a boil and thickened, dump in a yellow cake mix and stir until smooth. Pour the batter into a greased springform pan, and bake for about 25-30 minutes at 350. Cool cake for an hour or so in the freezer. Top with sliced bananas and cool whip. I'm sure you could do the same thing with any flavor, like lemon pudding and lemon cake mix. I got the idea from a recipe my mom makes with chocolate pudding, devil's food cake mix, and chocolate chips. It was surprisingly delicious. I might even venture to take it to the next potluck.

"Cheese," said Lane.


I thought it would be an adventure to make some traditional Japanese New Year's food. I'm not sure what Andrew thought of it (well, I am - he hated most of it, especially the mochi). But I had a great time. Clockwise - sort of - from the left is kurikinton, kuromame, sunomono, panko shrimp and gyozas, steamed rice, datemaki, and spinach with sesame paste. In the middle is a big bowl of udon with egg, shrimp, and kamaboko. Delicious.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The video is great. You don't seem so far away when we can see them. Mark and mitchell have just left and you know what i am like when I say cheerio to any of my family!!! The cake looks good but the Japanese food looks very tempting.

Carrie said...

Hmmm. I wonder what I'd think. We saw an Iron chef the other day where the secret ingredient was rabbit. Yikes. I'd hate to be a judge on that day! But I love that you've learned so much about how to cook them and carry on your family traditions~ Your daugthers friends and school classes are going to be surprised when they talk about their Japanese heritage...seeing as they don't look like they've got an ounce in them...Hee hee. What a well rounded (global) family:)

Carrie said...

P.S. I forgot this was the Birthday post too! Happy Birthday Andrew! Don't you just love the adoring look in Hana's eyes?

Kristen said...

Yummy! At least it LOOKS fantastic. Great presentation. Happy Late Birthday Andy!