Monday, June 23, 2008

Canterbury, Dover, and Windsor with Katrina and Michiko

We took a weekend trip into Canterbury with my grandma and Katrina. Andrew had to go on a business trip to Orlando, so he missed out a bit, which was a bummer. But we had a nice time, (despite Hana getting a tick from the hotel room bed, yuck!) There were all sorts of parades going through the streets on Saturday. Hana wasn't too sure about this one.
Here is the entrance to the cathedral precincts.
And a little cafe where we had lunch.
Michiko, Hana, Lane, and Sam at Canterbury cathedral.
I really wanted to go to Canterbury - no only for Chaucer, but also for the cathedral. There was going to be a choir performance in the cathedral that night, and we were lucky to catch them rehearsing while we took our tour. I don't know, but I'd have to say it gave the Tabernacle a pretty good run for its money.

Katrina in the cloister at Canterbury Cathedral.
At the White Cliffs of Dover.

Grandma with the ferrys to France in the background.
Katrina with Dover Castle in the distance.

All Hana has wanted to do since we came to England (besides see the Eiffel Tower) was to go to a castle. I thought we would stop by Dover Castle on our way back from Canterbury, since I have an English Heritage pass and could get us all in for free. There are guided tours there and a tram to take you around the grounds so my grandma wouldn't have to walk up and down hill.

When we got to the gates, we found that parking at the castle was closed because there was an event on. So we had to drive down to the bottom of the valley and park outside the castle gate, then climb 200 stairs back up to the castle compound. When we finally made it up to the ticket booth (carrying Lane in her stroller the whole way), we learned that the tram was also out of service. So we had to walk to the top of the castle mount to the keep. When we got to the keep, we found out that the guided tour was at the Secret Wartime Tunnels, at the bottom of the castle grounds by the cliffs. So we headed back down another hill to the tour.

We finally found where the tour started, and found out that the first part of the tour was climbing a steep ramp back to the upper levels of the tunnels, where the military hospital was housed during WWII. Once inside the secret wartime tunnels, the "re-enactment" began, including a booming soundtrack of machine gun fire, anti-aircraft cannon, soldiers having their legs amputated, flickering lights, and re-created smells. Hana hates loud noises and the dark, and did I mention that my grandma survived the bombing of Nagasaki? We managed to get through the tour without anyone losing their mind, and then found out that the restaurant was back up the hill. We stopped there for a nice lunch and a rest before we headed back up to the keep.

By the way, there was a severe wind warning for the Dover area. After Lane got blown off her feet a few times, and my grandma asked me whether I thought it would be windy much longer, we made it to the very, very top of the castle grounds. Just as we reached the keep entrance, the tour guide made her way out through the gale-force winds to tell us that she was very sorry, but the castle keep would be closed due to unsafe wind conditions. This is where Hana starts sobbing uncontrollably because we had promised her she could see inside the castle, and where my grandma finally made us all find a sheltered place by the keep wall so we could sit down and take a break. Eventually, we made it back down the hill, to the bottom of the 200 steps, and through the valley to the car.
The next day, we decided we give another shot at visiting a castle. We went over to Windsor, which is just 15 minutes away, to see the changing of the guard and to tour Windsor Castle. Hana liked the parade and flutes the best. I enjoyed King George's Chapel. Everyone in the State Apartments enjoyed it when I took Lane screaming back outside.
The Changing of the Guard, just before the Old Guard marches out of the castle grounds.
Hana and Katrina, with the Queen's private residence in the background. We actually had a very nice time at Windsor. Had a lovely lunch and some of the best ice cream in England.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

You are one brave mamma. I won't go anywhere w/all the kids w/out Chuck--much less when I'm pregnant! Looks like you're covering lots of ground. I would LOVE to see Dover.

sam said...

Dover was pretty cool. The town itself isn't much to speak of, but the cliffs and the view are amazing, and the castle was a lot of fun. We just got back from a full day in London (spent mostly at Harrod's) and I'm beat.

Jenny, Terry, Ian, and Heidi said...

It is so nice to hear from you. I love hearing about all your adventures in England. When did you go there and how long are you staying there? What city are you in? And when is your baby due? Boy? Girl? We just went camping this week. I must say, the pictures of your campground with grass on the ground is the way to go. Poor Heidi can walk but is by no means an expert fell about every 2 steps cause our campground was basically a rocky hill. Unfortunately she had to spend a lot of time in the pack and play which she hated.

Andrew and Cori said...

Looks like fun! Andrew looked at this and kept saying, "I've done that; Ive been there". He's jealous. :) I'm so excited you are expecting a boy!! Whatever will you do with another male in your house? I'm sure Andrew is thrilled. Congrats from all of us. When do you come home?

Patti said...

I got tired reading about all your climbing back and forth - I'll bet Grandma was thrilled. I love all your pictures. I have always thought Katrina looked a lot like you - it is kinda spooky! We look forward to seeing you at Melissa's wedding in August.