Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Miyajima Island
We took the bullet train from Kyoto to Hiroshima, and then took a ferry out to Miyajima Island, which is in Hiroshima harbor. The island is known for its huge Tori Gate that is situated out in the water. If you want to go to the island to worship at the shrine, you can only go at high tide, when the water is deep enough for your boat to pass through the gate. Otherwise, the gate is on dry land and you are unable to worship properly.
Melissa, Alisha, and Katrina rented bikes and rode along the waterfront, while Mom , Grandma and I wandered around.
We stopped at a Gaki Yaki stand and had delicious grilled oysters.

Then we walked down towards the shrine.

We got lucky - there was a whole wedding ceremony going on at the shrine. The monks in the background are all playing instruments, while the monk in orange dances in front of the bride and groom.

I was just able to get a picture of the bride from behind. She is wearing the full silk ceremonial kimono, with a wig and headpiece. The wedding party wasn't very big. Because the shrine was open to the public, you could get as close to the wedding as you wanted - depending on how conspicuous you were willing to be!
You can see the big Tori Gate again in the distance. Miyajima is beautiful. It would be fun to come back and stay on the island for a couple of days. There are lots of hiking trails and shrines, and MAP had a lot of fun on the bikes.
After the island, we went to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial and Museum.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I got so excited you have been updating! This is all so great! So much to comment on, don't know where to begin! I'm impressed you remember the names of all these foods...I can't pronounce them let alone remember all their names! I love all the pictures of you ladies together! So cute and makes me miss you all! I bet you are having so much fun! Those Petersen ladies are fun to be around! Little Lane is adorable! Can't wait to see you guys in October!
I totally forgot you were taking a girls' trip to Japan! I love the pictures and all the details in your narration. It looks amazing--I need to hear all about it. What was it like for your grandma? What did you do with your kids?
Post a Comment