So, here's the finished product:
Thursday, September 27, 2007
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck?
Well, after feeling guilty all last winter that we didn't have an emergency heat source, I finally ordered us a half cord of wood (I know, this tops everyone's list of fears). I thought I would be fancy and buy one of those wood rack bracket sets at Walmart. What a mistake. As soon as I assembled it and stacked half of the wood, the welds popped on the brackets and my whole woodpile cascaded down the side.
That's when Bob's How To (seriously) came to the rescue. For $2.75 I had my very own plans for a foolproof woodrack. After a while, Andrew felt sorry for me slaving away in the garage with our old handsaw, so he helped me out with the power saw to finish all of the cuts. A few hours later, I'd finished my very first woodworking project (not counting the numberless painted wood thingys I've done between Young Women's and Super Saturday). Happily, I started stacking the woodpile for the second time.
Of course, half a cord of wood is a lot of wood, and so no matter how fabulous my new wood rack was, it was never going to hold that much. So the next day, I went down to the Home Depot, bought myself 5 more pressure treated 2x4's, and looked helpless until the salesperson offered to cut them all to size for me. Another hour went by, and I had my second rack, à la Bob's How To.
So, here's the finished product:
And here is what Lane was doing while I was busy working:
So, here's the finished product:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You never cease to amaze me! Go Sam! Did you ever take woodworking in school? Lane is a cutie-pie! Does your mom and grandma crack up that she has such blonde hair? Aside from the fact that she found the Clinique lipstick, I'm proud of her for occupying herself...Clinique doesn't use dairy do they?
You're so good! Chuck always just dumps the wood on the side of the house and since it should be his job to stack it, I just let it sit there. He did finally stack what we had leftover from last winter against the fence in the back--but I like your racks better. I think we're making the switch to pellets. I can't take the wood mess anymore. We miss you guys and Utah in the fall. Maybe we can make it up there soon.
Post a Comment