Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Happy Halloween!

Halloween has become such an adult holiday here, I had a hard time finding costumes for Hana and Lane. But I eventually settled on making them matching clowns. I spent the last week frantically following my "Sewing for Dummies" pattern, but I must need the "Sewing for Complete Idiots" version, because I think I unpicked more seams than I stitched! Hana was a little girl clown, complete with a bouncy dress and lacy bloomers. Lane was absolutely facinated by the yellow pompon on her own clownsuit.

My dad had a conference in Salt Lake this week, and stayed over a few days to come visit Melissa, Alisha, and our family. Since our ward wasn't having a Halloween party this year, I made everyone come with us to Cornbelly's Corn Maze on Saturday. I'll be darned if I'm going to spend all week sewing those silly costumes for the girls to wear them for 15 minutes in the dark! We had a nice time pretending to be lost in the corn maze, and went for a great dinner at Goodwood's. I think we all enjoyed having my dad in town. We all bought pumpkins to carve; Melissa made a Frankenstein, Alisha did spooky eyes, Hana did a scary face, and I gave up on carving mine, and just stuck some gourds on it.

Tuesday was Halloween, and Andrew's work invited all the kids down to go trick-or-treating from office to office. Andrew took the girls out trick-or-treating later that night. Our neighborhood must give out the best treats, because we saw several unfamiliar cars unloading kids from the other side of town. In the end, Hana had a great time and would have stayed out all night if she could.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam, you did a great job on the costumes, the girls look fantastic. Halloween was disappointing here, I bought lollies but no-one came to our house. There was one lot of kids going around but they stopped after visiting my neighbours and then they all went home, I was really disappointed. I have been eating the lollies myself.

Kristen said...

The costumes are so cute! I seriously stink. Parker wanted to be a boxer, so I bought fabric to make a robe, but I whimped out and made him be a cowboy instead (even had to bribe him with a toy gun). Kellie made Hayes and Chase the cutest Ewok costumes--you crafty people kill me. I wish you lived close so you could give me lessons.

Anonymous said...

The costumes are fantastic. I think you did a marvellous job. Our night was sad as we only had two lots of big kids and that was it.

Swagman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sam said...

Hi Jane! That happened to me two years ago. No one even knocked at our door. This year, I almost ran out of candy. Fortunately, Hana brough home a bucket full. So I'm sitting home eating lollies, too.

Laura said...

Samantha,
The costumes are so cute, way cuter than the one I made for you. Hana and Lane look adorable. They win the prize.

We had some trick or treaters but not like when you were little. I guess our neighborhood is growing old. I have a huge bag of lollies left as well. Fortunately I still have a teenager at home so I think I'll take our leftovers to tomorrow nights football game at the high school. Last home game of the season.

Carrie said...

Costumes are sooo cute! The hoop skirt is adorable. I think I wrote this already...to your byu email...Do you still check that anymore?? Which one do you use?

I'm getting film developed for our halloween boys...can't wait, check in to ours soon to see the boys in costume. Love ya.