I really hate spiders. Which is why it was a huge mistake to marry an Australian. Not because he's afraid of spiders too, but because it's not a spider to him unless it is man eating, rears up on its hind legs, and can survive under water for 48 hours. Needless to say, he is less than impressed by the house spiders that always seem to know when you are alone and just about to step into the shower.
And so, in a fit of self-preservation, I called the exterminator. Twice. Okay, more than twice. And more than one exterminator. I want the poison that the government has banned for causing cancer - as long as it causes cancer in the spiders, too. And to prevent any future shower-chilling encounters, I signed a year contract.
Finally at peace, and able to relax on my sofa without fear of arachnid interruption, I settled in to watch some documentary TV. That is when Anderson Cooper took me on a journey to the hunger-ravished nation of Niger, where nearly 3.6 million people are at risk of starvation. As I struggled to watch frail and bloated babies search their mother's faces with fearful eyes, I couldn't help but wonder what those children would think if they knew that some American woman had just spent $300 (I know) so that she wouldn't have to squish bugs.
After some careful research, I've learned that not all charities are equal. In fact, many charities, especially the ones who use telemarketing firms for fundraising, only give about 20-40% of their funds to actual programs. The rest of the money goes towards administrative salaries, fundraising galas, and glitzy ad campaigns. I found Action Against Hunger through both Charity Navigator and the BBB Wise Giving Alliance . Like other good charities, they devote 90% of their funds to actual programs.
So, I hope you don't mind, but I've added ACF's banner add to our blog. I'm not suggesting you start supporting ACF. But if you are considering supporting a charity, or if you are ever solicted for donations, I would strongly suggest doing a little research and making sure you're putting your money to good use. I've found the fastest way to get smarmy charity telemarketers off the phone is to ask them how much of their budget goes to overhead. And yes, the exterminator is still coming next month.
3 comments:
I hate spiders too. Fortunately we haven't got any trees overhead for them to drop in. The ones I most hated were the huntsman that came into the house most often and always seemed to jump at me when I was shakingly trying to reach them with a broom. Many moons ago!!! I read The Haunting of Toby Jugg by Denis Wheatley that terrified me of spiders. Even in England when the largest one I saw was a daddy long legs.
Hi Sam,
I may be calling the exterminator as well. Today James and I cleaned out our all the red back spiders (they are really poisonous) from around our house. We have even had one in the handle to our garage. There was one that was massive under the pool fence, its the biggest red back I have ever seen.
Now, my only problem is that Lane finds everything. She crawls around the edges of the room and always seems to find where the dead bugs are. Yuck!
Post a Comment