Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Best Gotta-Have-It Brownies

This recipe won Reader's Digest's "Best Gotta-Have-It" Brownie contest. I've tried it a few times, and I have to agree - definitely a diet-buster. The recipe came from right here in Utah, from a lady named Kay Baker in Layton. Her mom always made these brownies when she was little. When Kay was just 14, her mom passed away, so she doesn't know where the recipe came from before that. But she makes them now for her 2-year-old son, who loves them. Just goes to prove that making brownies just might be the most important thing mothers do!

Kay Baker's Best-Gotta-Have-It Brownies

Brownie:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts, optional

Topping:
1 pound mini marshmallows
1 2/3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup cocoa
1/3 cup canned evaporated milk

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 1-inch-deep baking sheet or jelly roll pan. Mix together, butter, sugar and cocoa. Stir in eggs. Add flour, vanilla, salt and nuts. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until done.

Remove from oven and cover top of brownies with marshmallows. Return to oven and bake 3 minutes.

Mix together powdered sugar, butter, cocoa and evaporated milk. Pour frosting over marshmallow layer and cool.

(Hint - The frosting needs to be thin enough to pour over the marshmallow layer, so you may need to put it in the microwave for a few seconds.)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Did I tell you I made these for Parker's play group party and everyone loved them!

Kristen said...

Oops, I forgot a ? .