Sunday, June 10, 2007

Stake Conference

We have had Stake Conference this weekend and were fortunate to have Elder Mickelson of the First Quorum of the Seventy visit with us. We also had Elder Osguthorpe of the Third Quorum of the Seventy. So I thought I would post a few thoughts about the meetings I attended.

During Priesthood Leadership, Elder Mickelson discussed the structure of the priesthood and what authority is versus power, he outlined the keys of the priesthood, he also delved into what it means to be ordained. However out of this I was impressed by a very simple and obvious truth relating to power. You can have authority to perform a priesthood function but it is through faith and worthiness that power is derived. He also shared the last half of the President Hinckley story that we are all familiar with about how his father told him to forget himself and go to work while on his mission. Well after this letter President Hinckley went and prayed and during the prayer he committed to always do his best. Elder Mickelson highlighted that we can see the fruits of that commitment. During the Sunday meeting Elder Mickelson continued in this vain and discussed the need for personal commitment to the gospel. He discussed Nicodemus and then pointed out that being born of the spirit in this discussion is not to receive the Holy Ghost after baptism but rather to see into eternity and understand the nature of the Savior, the atonement, and our person role in the plan. In essence it is to become converted to the gospel, it is to see through the veil and gain a testimony. After this transpires then we can enter the Kingdom of God through baptism and the Holy Ghost. He commented that there are many who enter the kingdom who never see through the veil. As I thought about this I realizes how true it is, and not only for those around me but also for me. I know the gospel is true and I can not deny that I have "seen through the veil" but how often in my day to day life I forget the eternal nature and purpose for which I am here. Elder Osguthorpe quoted elder Ballard in saying "Move the work, don't just tend it." How true this is and needs to be for those who have seen through that veil, it is our responsibility to move the gospel not just tend it. Hence I felt a renewed urge to move the work and commit myself to the gospel and the Savior, to move the work and not just tend it. One of the ways to do this was highlighted by Elder Osguthorpe, he said, "we will always move in the direction of our most dominant thought, always." therefore I need to concentrate on my thoughts and move to the forefront my study of the gospel.

Anyway, it was a great series of meetings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian Your comments Andrew were quite profound since I have served in the Temple my own feelings have become more certain that it is what we do that counts not what we feel. Bishop Coulson was released after six years, Mark has been released after eleven years what makes an individual give all that service is that inner commitment to serve the Savior .