Friday, June 29, 2007

Children's Parade

Every June, Pleasant Grove holds the "Strawberry Days" festival. There's 4 days of rodeo, two parades, pie eating contests, Huck Finn fishing, and a carnival downtown. This year, I thought it would be fun to let the kids be in the Children's parade. The Activity Day girls from our ward made a banner and handed out balloons, as we all waited for the parade to start down at the track. It was pretty hot, but I brought one of those fans that sprays water, making us the most popular wagon in town.

Here's Hana and Lane, in their very best red, white, and blue. Hana was supposed to walk while I pulled Lane, but that was short-lived.
Here we are, parading towards Timpanogos - yes, uphill in 106 degree heat. And this year, they decided to add a couple of blocks to the parade route. By the time we made it to the second stop sign, we were a lot loss generous with the spray bottle.
But, we did get a popsicle, carnival ticket, and free hand stamp for the rodeo. I think next year we'll leave the parading to the professionals.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

They look so cute in their patriotic garb. We have to push a handcart w/our trek family in the pioneer days parade this year. I'm seriously dreading. RIDING on a float would probably put me into heat stroke, let alone WALKING in one!

Kristen said...

OK, I'm bad at proofing before I post and the English major in me just can't leave that last comment as is. I won't actually be walking in a float:) You know what I mean:)

Anonymous said...

Poor Hana looked sooo hot I just melted for her. It sounded so much fun if the temperature hadn't been so high.
How large is your water fan ?.
We have had the wettest June for over fifty years.

Carrie said...

I LOVE patriotic parades with little kids! We did them yearly when I was little...and our ward does one in the parking lot which is sufficient for me...the kids ride their bikes around in circles and it's fun. 106 degrees? Yikes! We haven't had that yet this year! Good sport girls!
I love the Red, white and blue clothes!