Thursday, June 07, 2007

Our Summer Babies

Okay, most people blog about their kids, but we've been spending a lot of time working in the yard this summer.
I went down to Hyde Park gardens (behind the Orem Instacare) with our RS Gardening Club. We all took down an empty pot, and they helped us choose flowers that (hopefully) will survive the summer. I did Orange Symphony osteospermum, wild pansies, white alyssum, curly parsley, chocolate mint, Goldilocks Creeping Jenny, and a funny purple one on the left that didn't have a tag. Hope it lives.


We pulled out the cotoneaster bushes we used to have here. Don't ever plant that on purpose!

Can you believe this is maybe 10 percent of the rocks we pulled out of this bed? We used what we could for borders, gave several wheelbarrow loads away to unsuspecting neighbors, filled up the trash cans twice, and put the boulders in the back yard. This is what's left.

I learned a fancy new way of growing tomatoes in containers. You use about a 15-inch pot for the outside. Put a 6-inch ceramic pot in the middle, and surround it with potting soil. Put a tomato cage over the smaller pot. Plant 2 or 3 tomato plants around the outside of the ceramic pot, between the tomato cage and the big pot. The tomatoes will grow up on the outside of the cage.

Fill the ceramic pot with water 2 times a week (3 times if it's going to be over 100 degrees out). And, for extra production, you can self-pollinate the flowers. Rub together two flowers, from different plants of the same species, a few times a week. Gives the birds and the bees a head start.

Don't count on any photos of these at the end of the summer. This is probably the best they'll look!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I love the tomato plant idea! I actually have one with two plants outside of a cage and I'm going to stick a smaller pot in the middle and see how it works. And your container looks so pretty. Mine never look that great. You have to get used to disappointment if you garden in Arizona:)

Anonymous said...

Your garden is looking great. We have had some huge winds and the wettest June for 40 years. Brian took all the flowers, what was left of them, out on Monday and it really looks like Winter. Our daffodils haven't come up yet and we will prune our roses next week so the garden will then look grim.
Your flower pot reminds me of the pot Jane had in young womens with the value colours.

Kristen said...

Sam--I did two cherry tomato plants that way and they are doing great. I think next year I'll do all my tomatoes that way. Muchas gracias for the idea!